Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:20:28 -0700

Tom Cloyd wrote:
> James E. Bailey wrote:
>> This is very true, and I did have to consult much other information
>> in order to get it working, and the instructions in the lilypond
>> documentation can, with patience, be understood. The information is
>> there, and it's all correct, I'm just saying that for someone who's
>> making their first forays into this kind of software, knowing what a
>> $PATH is and setting it, and understanding that you have to
>> explicitly tell the computer that you want to do something in the
>> current directory is huge information.

> Then I come to the Lilypond website and there's something called an
> "installer" for the stable and development version. An easy and inviting
> download. I know what an installer is. I know what to do with it. And in
> case I'm unsure what to do with, the website tells me very explicitly.
> Only it's not right. THIS installer acts unlike anything I've ever used
> in Linux. Seriously.
>
> And after nearly 6 months of fairly intense work in my new Kubuntu
> environment, I have NEVER heard of this business of Linux's not paying
> attention to what directory you're in. It's totally brand new
> information. Has never been mentioned on the very-intense Ruby list I
> follow. Has never before gotten me in trouble with anything else. Just
> with Lilypad.
>
> So...I say there's a problem here. It has to do with frequency of an
> event. Something that is a problem so infrequently needs to be
> red-flagged. I wish it had been.
>
> More fundamentally the problem I'm having is this: If someone with my
> background can get so snarled up on this, I guarantee you that
> essentially NO ONE else in my profession, or my family, or anyone I
> personally know, has any business attempting to use Linux. Don't even
> think of it.
LilyPond is special here because it practically requires the command
line.  Most of the rest of Linux can be used from the GUI just like
Windows or Mac.

Learning that the current directory is not on the path by default is
part of the learning curve of the command line.  A point that might help:

Unix/Linux have a very organized file system.  You are not supposed to
install applications in the same directories as data (your .ly files).
(Just like Windows and Mac actually).  If you had installed Lily in a
directory like /usr/local you wouldn't have to worry about running
commands in the current directory.  This is again part of the learning
of the Linux command.

HTH,

Paul Scott