Re: ubuntu package

From: David Stocker
Subject: Re: ubuntu package
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:54:38 -0400

Thanks to everyone for this helpful information. I will definitely try the latest version.

Dave

Jonathan Kulp wrote:
I've been using Ubuntu Linux now for about 9 months and have learned quite a lot about how to make things easier for me. In general, the easiest way to install new programs if you already know the package name is to use the "sudo apt-get install <package-name>" command. This downloads the package and installs it on your system. If you want a graphical tool to help, then use the "Add/Remove Programs" from your Applications menu (under GNOME, anyway, which I think is what Ubuntu Studio uses) or use System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager for installing smaller packages and dependencies and stuff like that. Before you do all this make sure to enable all of the repositories that are available to you.

Now, if you need to install something that's not in the Ubuntu repository or, as in the case with Lilypond, is a version that's older than what you want, it's more complicated. One program I've installed many times in different ways is Adobe Acrobat Reader. At first I had big problems b/c the Adobe site by default offered up a Red-Hat package (.rpm extension), but after a while I realized I could dig deeper for more package options and have found that the easiest to install by far is the Debian package (.deb extension). When you download and double-click the icon, it opens up the package installer and you click install, type your password, and you're done. If I have an option, I always choose the .deb package. If you have to deal with a .tar file that must be extracted and then installed with a script, just read the README file and follow the instructions carefully.

If you're interested in reading my blog about the transition to Linux (albeit from Mac instead of Wndows), you can view it here:

http://jonkulp.blogspot.com/

Jon

David Stocker wrote:
(BTW, if anyone knows of an online "self-help" or "twelve-step prgram"-type resource to help recovering Windows users learn how to install programs in GNU/Linux, please pass them along--I'm not really 'lazy,' I just want to avoid messing things up).

Suffice it to say that I proceed with caution in areas like this. Because of my limited knowledge, I want to make sure that I'm making no assumptions.

Thanks in advance for any insight imparted here,

Dave