Re: convert from absolute to relative

From: Neil Thornock
Subject: Re: convert from absolute to relative
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:26:39 -0600

Anyway - what is the benefit of transforming absolute to relative pitches?

I work much better with relative - it is much faster to input the notes and easier for me to see the line contour.  At this point I rarely make octavation errors (although only after 18 months of countless mistakes!), but when I do have to fix them, I have my files set up so that "line numbers = measure numbers" and I can isolate the problem quickly.  Another good trick is to break up any one part with multiple \relative statements, so that an error in one section of the piece won't carry through to the next.

Anyway, it's a nice utility for those \relative-ites wanting to edit absolute-pitched scores.  The more utilities the better - we'll keep our bases covered.