LSR status

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: LSR status
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:40:20 -0400

Hello all,

I'm writing to express my frustration at the intermittent availability of the LSR — since returning from Edinburgh (about two weeks ago), I've tried nearly a dozen times to connect/search (including just a few minutes ago), and was successful precisely once.

I want to submit my templates and tips, to help the community… but, to be blunt, if they're not going to be available reliably, I'm reluctant to go through the trouble.

Being a sometimes-IT-professional, I know as well as anyone that it takes effort, money, and time (and some good luck never hurts) to maintain *any* website, let alone a database-driven one with heavy use — and I want to be clear to Valentin and the others involved in the LSR that their work to date is not unappreciated.

However, if the Lilypond community is depending on *any* resource as heavily as it appears to be (or want to be) relying on the LSR, that resource needs to maintain ~ 99% uptime. If the current LSR hosting situation is unable to support that, I respectfully suggest we reconsider the hosting environment, or eliminate the LSR entirely (i.e., roll the tips and examples back into the regular docs somehow).

Sincerely,
Kieren.