Re: leopard in the pond

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: leopard in the pond
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:28:11 +0000 (UTC)

Lewis Overton <lewy <at> chena.fastmail.us> writes:

> It appears that 2.11 for Leopard (Mac OS 10.5.x) is on hold. Is there intent
 to produce a binary for
Leopard? If so, is there any time frame as in soon, some day, long time,
whatever?Lewy

Lewy,

It appears that some of the development tools are broken for Leopard, and this
makes distributing binaries very difficult.

If you want to run LilyPond on Leopard, there are two ways to do it.

1.  Use the PPC binaries -- this method works, but the LilyPad editor does not.
So you need to use your favorite editor.  Ivo has developed some scripts that
 work well with this method.  Search the user archives, and you'll find
them easily.  This method uses the PPC emulator, so it's somewhat slower
than native Intel code.

2.  Build your own binary.  Ordinarily this is considered to be so difficult
that it's not recommended.  But I am willing to recommend it, thanks to
Nicolas Sceaux's excellent instructions.  It takes a bit of time, but it makes
it easy to always  have the most up-to-date LilyPond working at blazing
speed.  I currently run LilyPond in native Intel mode on Leopard.

You can find Nicolas's instructions at <http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr>

As far as the time frame for working GUB for Leopard, I think it's based on
potential bug fixing on closed-source software, so we have no control over
it, IIRC.

Thanks,

Carl