Re: Vocal slurring and override-auto-beam-setting?

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Vocal slurring and override-auto-beam-setting?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:37:09 +0200

Am 28.08.2008 um 17:11 schrieb Mike Blackstock:

Not being a singer, I assumed that vocal music never has beams -

Current style guides indicate that vocal music follows beaming rules for instrument music.

wrong! I see that when notes are slurred, the slurred notes have beams. Is there an easy way to indicate that if notes are within a slur, they should be beamed, otherwise not?

Not that I know of.

I suspect it can be done with 'override-auto-beam-setting'

Not really, that deals more with setting automatic beam behaviour based on the time signature. You're better off just explicitly putting in beams with [ ] .And since they'll almost always occur with slurs, you'll probably end up with a lot of ([ )].

Thx and cheers,
Mike

Hope that helps.