Re: LH fingering not working

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: LH fingering not working
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:39:02 -0500

Hi Steven,

I did the documentation on guitar stuff so I'm familiar with this issue.

I suspect that what you're missing is a <> chord construct around whatever it is that you want affected. When I was running through all of the commands I noticed that the only way the \set fingeringOrientation worked was if the note in question AND the fingering indication appeared inside a chord construct, even if it's only a single note.

Try putting something like <e-2>8 in there for an 8th-note E played by the second finger--the rhythm has to go outside the <> for it to work.

I'm copying my informal series of tests below so you can see examples of all the various stuff for classical guitar fingering that I worked out. I also have some tricks to get fine placement using extra-offset if you want that later. Good luck,

Jonathan

\version "2.11.55"

\paper {
  #(define dump-extents #t)
  indent = 0\mm
  line-width = 160\mm - 2.0 * 0.4\in
  ragged-right = ##t
  force-assignment = #""
  line-width = #(- line-width (* mm  3.000000))
}

\layout {
}

\relative c'{
  <fis-1\4>8 [(g-2) a-4]  <b-1\3> [c-2 d-4]  <e-1\2> [fis-3 g-4] |
}

% this is a test file for guitar fingerings and string indications.
% Observations:
%   1. for the string number to appear properly, it must occur inside
%      chord markers: <c\5> (indicates a C played on the 5th string
%   2. If you combine fingerings with string indications, there are
%      several ways to configure them.

% simple string indications:

\relative c' {
  <c\5>4 <e\4> <g\3>2
  <c,\5 e\4 g\3> 1
}

%%%######## STRING INDICATIONS WITH DYNAMICS ######### %%%
% Dynamics have to go outside the <>, after any rhythmic duration indication
\relative c' {
  <c\5>4 <e\4> <g\3>2\f
}

% ########## FINGERINGS WITH ARTICULATIONS ###############%
% test fingering position with articulation: doesn't matter which comes
% first in sequence--fingering is always placed above articulation

\relative c'' {
  c2-1-> d-3-.  % fingering first, articulation second
   \once \override Fingering #'staff-padding = #'()
  c2->-1 d-.-3  % articulation first, fingering second
}

% making it in two voices so string indicator appears below?
% THIS ONE DOESN'T WORK RIGHT. COLLISIONS!!
\relative c' {
  <c\5>4 <e\4> <g\3> 2
  << \voiceTwo <c,\5>1 \\ \voiceOne < e\4 g\3> 1 >>
}

\relative c' {
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(up left down)
  <c-3\5 e\4-2 g\3-0> 4
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
  <d\4-0>8
% note that the fingeringOrientations setting has no effect on the next one:
% this is because the fingering indication is placed OUTSIDE the <>.  Its
% placement can not be affected unless it is *inside* the <>.
% the RHYTHMIC DURATION, however, must be placed OUTSIDE the <> or else an error
% is reported.
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left) % "left" setting has no effect
  <e>-2
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(right)
  <f-3>4
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(up)
  <g\3-0>
% note here how the order of fingering and string indication affects placement. % fingering then string (<g-0\3>) makes the finger number appear immediately above note, and string % number above the fingering, whereas the opposite arrangement <g\3-0> reverses the position
% of the two. Guitar notation normally follows the former convention.

  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(up)
  <g-0\3>
}

% this examples shows how to reverse position of finger and string indication

\relative c'' {
  <g\3-0> 2
  <g-0\3>
}

% this example shows how to put string indication above and finger indication below

\relative c'' {
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
  <g\3-0> 2
  <c\2-1>
}

% this shows possible orientations of fingerings and string indications
\relative c' {
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
  <e-2\4> 4
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(up)
  <gis-1\3>
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
  <b-0\2>
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(right)
  <e-0\1>
}

% testing right-hand fingerings
% note: must have space before closing > and don't forget
% hyphen before \

\relative c' {
  <c-\rightHandFinger #1 >4 <e-\rightHandFinger #2 >
  <g-\rightHandFinger #3 > <c-\rightHandFinger #4 >
<c,-\rightHandFinger #1 e-\rightHandFinger #2 g-\rightHandFinger #3 c-\rightHandFinger #4 >1
}

% testing fingering, string indication, and right-hand fingering

#(define RH rightHandFinger)
\relative c' {
  <c-3\5-\RH #1 >4
  <e-2\4-\RH #2 >
  <g-0\3-\RH #3 >
  <c-1\2-\RH #4 >
}

% testing override to let fingerings go inside staff

\relative c'' {
   \override Fingering #'staff-padding = #'()
   \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
  <c-1>16 <d-3> <e-0> <fis-2>
}

Steven Padalino wrote:
Hi,
Using Lilipond 2.10.33 with jEdit 4.3pre15 on Windows XP SP2. The \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left) is not working. Finger numbers continue to appear at the top or bottom of note stems. I have the command positioned after the "staffClassicalGuitar = \new Staff" command and before any notes are entered. Does it matter where it is located? I want it to apply to the whole score. I saw a link to http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Changing-context-default-settings.html#Changing-context-default-settings in the archives, but I'm not sure I'm interpreting it properly. I've tried positioning the command in the Score and Layout sections, but it still doesn't take effect.