Re: LH fingering not working

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: LH fingering not working
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:23:14 -0500

Hi Tom,

Ok I've been fiddling with this for a while and I don't suppose I'm any
farther along than you were.  One of the problems is something that I
noticed when I was engraving one of my own pieces a few days ago.  While
it's possible to position fingerings very precisely using extra-offset,
you can only do so to notes inside chord constructs.  Fine.  The problem
is that if you're trying to position the fingerings for an actual chord
(i.e. more than 1 note at the same time inside a chord construct), you
can't position each fingering individually.  If you change the
extra-offset for one of them, you've changed it for all notes in the
chord.  I can't figure a way to make the extra-offset affect only one
note inside a chord construct.

So, while I'm able to bring the "3" string indication into the staff, it
also causes the "2" string indicator to go way up high above the staff!
  My own solution was to remove extraneous fingerings so that I could
place the really important ones where I wanted them.  I'd rather be able
to place all of them in the right spot, but I couldn't figure out how.

Here's your code with a few lines of macros that I use for placing the
fingerings, and an example of how I made the string number 3 move into
the staff.

Not sure about the triplet.  I think the topic is "tuplets" though.

Jon

%%%% shortcuts
%  fingering orientations
        sfol = \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
        sfor = \set fingeringOrientations = #'(right)
        sfod = \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down)
        sfou = \set fingeringOrientations = #'(up)
        sfodu = \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down up)

%  string number orientations
        ssnol =  \set stringNumberOrientations = #'(left)  %(down right up)
        ssnou =  \set stringNumberOrientations = #'(up)
        ssnod =  \set stringNumberOrientations = #'(down)
        ssnor =  \set stringNumberOrientations = #'(right)

% define fingering offset
FO = #(define-music-function (parser location offsetX offsetY) (number?
number?)
  #{
    \once \override Voice.Fingering #'extra-offset = #(cons $offsetX
$offsetY )
  #})

% define string-number offset
SO = #(define-music-function (parser location offsetX offsetY) (number?
number?)
  #{
    \once \override Voice.StringNumber #'extra-offset = #(cons $offsetX
$offsetY )
  #})

  \relative c'{                                             <<
     { s2 r4
     \voiceOne
     \override Fingering #'staff-padding = #'()
     \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down down up)
\SO #'-0.0 #'2.5
     < e'-0 fis-1\3 g-4\2 >4~ }
     \\
     { \voiceThree \times 2/3 { fis,8-3 ^"II" [ (g-4) e-1 ]}
        \times 2/3 {a8\rest \stemDown
     \override Fingering #'staff-padding = #'()
       \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
       <e-1\5> [<c'-3\4>] }
       <b-2~>2 }
     \\
     { \voiceTwo s4 e,,2.~ \ff }
    >>            }

Tom Cloyd wrote:
Jonathan Kulp wrote:
I did the documentation on guitar stuff so I'm familiar with this issue.

Jonathan - thanks for the extended examples. Very helpful.

However,

Here's a sticky wicket I cannot get past:

  \relative c'{                                             <<
     { s2 r4
     \override Fingering #'staff-padding = #'()
     \set fingeringOrientations = #'(down down up)
     < e'-0 fis-1\3 g-4\2 >4~ }
     \\
{ \stemUp \times 2/3 { fis,8-3 ^"II" [ (g-4) e-1 ]} \times 2/3 {a8\rest \stemDown
       \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
       <e-1\5> [<c'-3\4>] }
       <b-2~>2 }
     \\
     { \stemDown s4 e,,2.~ \ff }
    >>            }

The fingering is now readable, but not displayed as I've requested, in the first voice. It's displaying e-down f-up g-up. I've tried a number of combinations, and I cannot seem to "crack the code". There must be something I'm not understanding. Can you tell me?

I also cannot find documentation about placement of string number. I'm guessing that in the code example the reason for the engraving of the "(3)" string indication BELOW the f is to keep it from crashing into what's above. However, if so, why are string numbers being so looked after, when Lilypond will quite happily pile *fingering* numbers on top of each other in an illegible mess? I don't see consistency here, but again I may well be missing something.

In the code example I'd just like to bring the "(3)" indication into the staff, and right below the f. In my code example, however, the "\override Fingering #'staff-padding = #'()" (an initial attempt just to get it to move) has no effect. I don't see what I'm doing wrong. Can you help?

Finally, the triplet indicator which is engraved by the code example crashes into several things. I cannot find out how to move it. Don't even know where to start looking. None of the triple (tuple?) documentation I've found addresses this. I cannot attempt to reposition what I cannot even name!

I want to thank you (and whoever else may have helped) for the richness of the fretted string documentation. It's really been extremely helpful.

t.

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com