Re: debian control file out of date? was: Re: live cd-with lilypondhttp:

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: debian control file out of date? was: Re: live cd-with lilypondhttp://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/topdocs/INSTALL
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:24:48 +0200

2008/8/31 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:49:53 +0200
> Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Am Sonntag, 31. August 2008 schrieb Karl Hammar:
>> >
>> > As long as lilypond-book is included there is a dependancy on latex.
>>
>> lilypond-book it is also able to process e.g. a docbook file and
>> still we don't have a dependency on docbook.
>
> It can also handle html.  It would be silly to claim that lilypond
> (or lilypond-book) depends on Firefox because of this feature.

Not so silly if lilypond-book needed to call firefox to work, as it
does with latex.

> Isn't this exactly what the "recommends: " field in .deb files is
> for?  lilypond-book should recommend latex, docbook, texinfo, and
> www-browser.

it does need latex, it does not need docbook (I wonder), it does not
need www-browser. So we have to levels of recommendness:

latex is recommended if you want to produce tex files, this is what
I'd call a dependance.

docbook AFAIK and www-browser are recommended to view the output, this
is what I'd call a pure recommendation.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org