Again: Alignment of bars

From: Boris Lau
Subject: Again: Alignment of bars
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 00:34:01 +0200

Hello everyone,

sorry that I'm bringing up this topic again. As several other people (so it seems), I want to typeset some leadsheets (melody + chord symbols) for Jazz, Funk and Pop music. So far I am quite happy with Lilypond for this purpose, the font is great, and the chord symbols are decent, except:

What I'm really missing is the possibility of having all bars in a line having the same width. Combined with the \break command this would be sufficient to create a layout where all bar lines are aligned if the number of bars in a line is the same.

I've read about the workarounds, like proportional mode, and single line staves, but these are not very convenient options. Wouldn't this be a nice add-on feature for the next version? I imagine that this would mean adding a trivial case to the more complex alignment algorithm for the conventional notation.

Best from Germany,
Boris