Re: Again: Alignment of bars

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Again: Alignment of bars
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 15:55:33 -0400

Hi Boris,

I've read about the workarounds, like proportional mode

Can proportional spacing be applied only to one Voice or Staff context, instead of to the whole Score? If so, you might be able to set up an invisible "spacer" context (which forces the measure width to be equal), and then lay the music notes out in a separate (non-proportional) voice.

Wouldn't this be a nice add-on feature for the next version?

Maybe… but, for the record:

1. I don't have a copy of Ross's engraving book (which goes into much more detail than my little handbook), but my "Essential Dictionary of Music Notation" says "The size of the measure within the staff is determined according to a compromise between two extremes: 1) equal space for each measure, 2) measure size based on note density only", followed by an example highlighted as "WRONG: spaced according to equal measure size".

2. I know of no examples of traditionally-engraved scores which contain equal measure sizes. Quite the opposite, I have many scores where the engravers have specifically avoided equal measure widths — for example, in the band parts from the jazz musical "City of Angels", there are generally 4 measures per line, and in at least one spot, there are 4 *identical* measures of music on 2 consecutive lines [!!], and the engraver has *clearly* nudged the barlines so that they don't line up precisely. [From my engraving classes way back when, I seem to recall that it's harder for musicians to read systems that are aligned precisely, since the eye gets confused about which line to be following.]

If this feature is super-easy to add, I could imagine it being in an upcoming version — however, since the stated goal of Lilypond is to output great looking music based on established engraving practices, I can't imagine it being very high on the priority list. =)

Best regards,
Kieren.