Re: Stem Combining

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Stem Combining
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 17:06:16 +0100

2008/9/4 James E. Bailey <address@hidden>:

>  Perhaps a better example would be
>
> voiceone = \context Voice = "voice one" \relative { c'4 b a g f e f2 c1}
> voicetwo = \relative {c'4 b a g f e \stemDown d_( b) \stemNeutral c1}

Have you noticed what happens if you remove \partcombine in your example? :)

Partcombining isn't designed to work with lyrics; once you explicitly
name one of the voices, and try to attach lyrics to it, the
partcombining stops working. Internally, the two voices are given the
names "one" and "two", but these only exist when the individual parts
have different durations. For example, if I change your snippet
slightly,

voiceone = \context Voice = "one" \relative { c'4 b a g f e f2 c1}
voicetwo = \relative {c'4 b a g f e \stemDown d_( b) \stemNeutral c1}

words = \lyricmode {
  I vii vi V IV iii ii vii I
}

\score {
  <<
     \new Staff \with { printPartCombineTexts = ##f } << \partcombine
\voiceone \voicetwo >>
     \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" \words

}

you can see that the lyrics only find voice one when the voices split.

Regards,
Neil