Re: emacs question

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: emacs question
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:45:34 +0200

On 10 Sep 2008, at 00:18, James E. Bailey wrote:

I have
exec /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond "$@"

You can try running a command like
 export IFS='';lilypond 'foo bar'
Setting the IFS variable empty prevents variable name spaces being expanded.

Otherwise, it may be an emacs bug - so check the emacs lists.

I'm a little confused. This looks like a bash solution, but emacs has no problems with bash. As far I can see, the problem is with lilypond-mode. The filename that lilypond-mode calls cannot have spaces. The emacs people I've asked all say it's a problem with lilypond-mode (actually, they say that the elisp in lilypond-mode is horrible, and ask me if I wrote it).

I am not sure exactly what you run in Emacs, but when compiling, it creates a subshell and runs the compilation process in it.

Then, if someone forgot putting in the quotes above when composing the full path, one would get the error you reported. Setting IFS empty (might suffice only IFS=) might be a workaround - some suggests using this in scripts rather than quotes, but it is not well known.

  Hans