Re: emacs question

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: emacs question
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:41:57 +0200

On 10.09.2008, at 16:13, address@hidden wrote:

"J" == James E Bailey <address@hidden> writes:

   J> I just wish someone with a little elisp help could point me
   J> toward the part of whichever file determines how the file is
   J> processed in emacs so I could learn enough to be able to add " "
   J> to it.

I beleive lilypond-command-master uses (buffer-file-name) to return a
filename to send to the command.

Im not on a mac, but you could test this:

Visit the file you want to send (by C-c C-c) in emacs

Type (withouth the quotes)

'M-: (buffer-file-name)'

and see if it returns the whole filename inside double-quotes.  Please
tell us what comes out.

-anders
M-: (buffer-file-name) returned
"/Users/jamesebailey/Documents/James Music/Choral Music/Dad/Litany/Litany.ly"
with the quotes

Oh, and for the record:
16:27:32 jamesebailey ~:lilypond "foo bar"
GNU LilyPond 2.11.58
Warnung: Datei »foo bar« kann nicht gefunden werden
Fehler: failed files: "foo bar"

So, if I understand correctly,
1) buffer-file-name is a correctly escaped filename
2) escaped files are correctly understood by bash
3) using compile, I can send lilypond "/Users/jamesebailey/Documents/James Music/Choral Music/Dad/Litany/Litany.ly" and it processes fine:
-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "~/Documents/James Music/Choral Music/Dad/Litany/" -*- Compilation started at Wed Sep 10 16:35:32

 lilypond "/Users/jamesebailey/Documents/James Music/Choral Music/Dad/Litany/Litany.ly" GNU LilyPond 2.11.58
»/Users/jamesebailey/Documents/James Music/Choral Music/Dad/Litany/Litany.ly« wird verarbeitet

Converting to `./Litany.pdf'...
Compilation finished at Wed Sep 10 16:35:42
4)Using (C-c C-l) in emacs, the filename isn't escaped:
-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "~/Documents/James Music/Choral Music/Dad/Litany/" -*-
Compilation started at Wed Sep 10 16:37:52

lilypond /Users/jamesebailey/Documents/James Music/Choral Music/Dad/Litany/Litany.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.11.58
Warnung: Datei »/Users/jamesebailey/Documents/James« kann nicht gefunden werden
Warnung: Datei »Music/Choral« kann nicht gefunden werden
Warnung: Datei »Music/Dad/Litany/Litany.ly« kann nicht gefunden werden
Fehler: failed files: "Music/Dad/Litany/Litany.ly Music/Choral /Users/jamesebailey/Documents/James"

Compilation exited abnormally with code 1 at Wed Sep 10 16:37:54
5) As can be seen from the output, when I type in the quotes, lilypond processes a filename with quotes. When I use C-c C-l, lilypond is processing a filename without quotes.
6) I think somewhere, the quotes are being stripped.

On other platforms using emacs, does the output look similar? Are there quotes in the same places (or not)?