Re: notation TAB matching

From: Andrew Wilson
Subject: Re: notation TAB matching
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 00:10:47 +0100

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:29:01AM +0200, James E. Bailey wrote:

> On 10.09.2008, at 22:58, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>> How do I make the dots in the tablature (only, not notation)
>> invisible?
> You have to remove them.
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Controlling-visibility-of-objects.html#Controlling-visibility-of-objects
> Discusses how to make objects not visible.
>
>> I don't want to get the slurs in the tablature (only)... a4 ~ a4,
>> should be displayed in the tablature as just a finger position on a
>> certain string....
> If I understand this correctly, you want the music to show a4.~ a4 but
> the tablature to only show a4. Since you using the actual music in a tab
> staff, it will display all of the music that is shown in the regular
> staff. So, if you want to have something different shown in the tab staff
> than is shown in the music staff, you have  to write different music for
> it. To that end, the \tag function is helpful, it allows for music to be
> tagged and used in different places. To that end, you'll want to review
> the section on using \tag.
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Different-editions-from-one-source.html#Using-tags
> (It may be possible using scheme code to capture any time a tie is used
> to strip the tie and the note following it, but I don't know how.)

Both of your questions are the same problem stated two different ways.

You enter a4. ~ a4 in the music, you would like the tablature to just
give you one undotted note.  You need to enter the music twice, once for
the normal notation and once for the tab.

First problem: Get rid of dots in the tab

music = \relative c' {
  \tag #'notes { a4.  }
  \tag #'fingers { a4 s8 }
  e8 f2
 }

Second problem: Get rid of dots and tied notes in the tab

music = \relative c' {
  \tag #'notes { a4. ~ a4 }
  \tag #'fingers { a4 s4. }
  e8 f4
 }

Notice that both of these tagged sections are the same length.  You
choose one of them to appear in each staff:

\version "2.10.33"

music = \relative c' {
  \tag #'notes { a4.  }
  \tag #'fingers { a4 s8 }
  e8 f2 |

  \tag #'notes { a4. ~ a4 }
  \tag #'fingers { a4 s4. }
  e8 f4 |

 }

\score {
  <<
    \new StaffGroup = "tab with traditional" <<
      \new Staff = "guitar traditional" <<
        \clef "treble_8"
        \removeWithTag #'fingers \music

      \new TabStaff = "guitar tab" <<

        \override TabStaff.Stem #'transparent = ##t %% Makes stems transparent
        \override TabStaff.Beam #'transparent = ##t %% Makes beams transparent

        \removeWithTag #'notes \music