Re: Second effort guidance

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Second effort guidance
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 00:13:35 -0500

Hi Alaric,

Sorry to hear about the continued troubles in B.R.  I live in Lafayette
and while I evacuated to Tennessee during the storm, we were able to
return quickly because our power came back on the day after the storm
hit.  Just a little hole in my roof and the ugly awning on my back porch
blew away.  I hope y'all's power comes back on soon.

So anyway it's great to know of another Lilyponder so close to me, and
especially a guitarist :)  I took your code and did a few things that I
think will probably make your life easier.

1. I put the contents of each voice in a variable that is assembled onto
the staff in a \score block at the bottom of the code.  This score block
is the one I use for all of my guitar pieces.  It has three voices and a
\midi block, as well as the "guitar" instrument name and midi sound.
2. I changed it to \relative mode--most users find this easier once they
get used to it.
3. I set the tupletSpannerDuration so that you don't have to put each
tuplet inside {} individually.  You could keep adding triplets inside
the one I set up as long as you still want triplets.  I'd suggest
putting a single measure inside each \times 2/3{} instance to keep
things organized.
4. I set \voiceOne \voiceTwo etc. to get the stems going in the right
direction automatically.  It's very easy to override this if necessary
using \stemUp \stemDown or \stemNeutral
5. minor thing: I changed the clef to "treble_8" since this is the most
correct clef for guitar music (it sounds an octave lower than written).

Hope this helps.  I have a number of guitar scores to share if you're
interested.  Best,

Jon

here's one measure of your piece using variables and \score block:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

melody = \relative c' {
  \key e \minor
  \tempo "Allegro Moderato"
  \clef "treble_8"
  \voiceOne
  \override TupletNumber #'transparent = ##t
  \override TupletBracket #'transparent = ##t
\set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4)
  \times 2/3 {r8 e, g b e, g e' e, g e' e, g}   % m. 1
}

middle = \relative c' {
  \voiceFour
  s4 b4 e e
}

bass = \relative c {
  \voiceTwo
  e,2 s2
}

\score {
    \context Staff = "guitar" <<
        %\global
        \set Staff.instrumentName = "Guitar"
        \context Voice = "melody" \melody
        \context Voice = "middle" \middle
        \context Voice = "bass" \bass

    \layout { }

  \midi {
    \context {
      \Score
      tempoWholesPerMinute = #(ly:make-moment 160 4)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Alaric Haag wrote:
Hello 'ponders,

While spending over a week in the dark here in Baton Rouge (from hurricane Gustav) I started passing my time working on a Steve Hackett guitar piece in Lilypond. It was quite a satisfying way to burn up the dark evenings (and my laptop battery power before charging at the office the next day!)

So, now I'm hooked, and I'm trying to reproduce Sor's Etude, Op. 6, No 11. The first three measures are rendered with the code below, but I KNOW I missing many basics that would make this a LOT easier going. Is anyone willing to offer some guidance? The piece follows the basic pattern of these measures throughout with the lead half note, quarter notes emphasizing the melody line, and the triplets carrying the melody along, without triplet numbers.

I know I have a lot of reading to do, but I'd appreciate some pointers, topics, etc that might help me.

Many thanks!

Alaric

-----snip-----

\header{
  title = "Etude"
  subtitle = "Op. 6, No. 11"
  composer = "Fernando Sor"
}

\new Staff \with {   \consists "Span_arpeggio_engraver" }

{
\time 4/4
\tempo "Allegro moderato"

\key g \major
\set Staff.connectArpeggios = ##t

#(define RH rightHandFinger)
\break % Measure 1
<< \override TupletNumber #'transparent = ##t \override TupletBracket #'transparent = ##t { \times 2/3 {r8 e' g'} \times 2/3 {b' e' g'} \times 2/3 {e'' e' g'} \times 2/3 {e'' e' g'} } \\ \once \override Rest #'transparent = ##t { r4 b' e'' e'' } \\
      { e2*2/4 } >>
<< \override TupletNumber #'transparent = ##t \override TupletBracket #'transparent = ##t { \times 2/3 {e''8 g' b'} \times 2/3 {b' e' g'} \times 2/3 {e'' e' g'} \times 2/3 {e'' e' g'} } \\
      { e2*2/4 b'4 e'' e'' } >>
<< \override TupletNumber #'transparent = ##t \override TupletBracket #'transparent = ##t { \times 2/3 {r8 e' g'} \times 2/3 {b' e' g'} \times 2/3 {e'' e' g'} \times 2/3 {fis'' e' g'} } \\
      { e2*2/4 b'4 e'' fis'' } >>

\break % Measure 4
      {  } >>
      {  } >>
      {  } >>

}

\version "2.11.57" % necessary for upgrading to future LilyPond versions.