Re: fermata over rest, tempo positioning, solo/tutti

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: fermata over rest, tempo positioning, solo/tutti
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:57:19 +0200

On 11.09.2008, at 13:09, jo.clarinet wrote:

2. I can get tempo indications like Allegro, Andante etc printed
up, but
when tempo changes occur in the course of a piece, they seem to
come up
about half-a-bar before they should. I set the \mark\markup for
just before
the first note of the new section, so I can't see why it comes up
earlier.

\mark is specifically located over a bar line.

From looking at my score, I can see that it seems to be CENTRING each new
tempo indication on the bar-line, rather than beginning it there! So that,
for example, if I write Allegretto brillante, the Allegretto bit comes
before the bar-line (more or less), and the brillante after. How do I get
it to start at the right place?
\override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT

3. How do I indicate 'solo' and 'tutti' ?

^\markup\small{ solo }   following a note.

This has worked fine - thank you -  but has thrown up another problem in
that 'tutti' in the part I am working on comes at a tempo change, and as
they are both printed over the music, one is overlaying the other! How can
I get the 'tutti' underneath instead?

Either _"tutti" _\markup {tutti}. You can do it with \mark, but it's a bit more complicated.
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Direction-and-placement.html#Direction-and-placement

hope this helps