Re: page-breaking favours last page?

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: page-breaking favours last page?
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:27:59 -0700

Hi Kieren,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:01:20PM -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:

> BINGO!! If I set
>     ragged-bottom = ##f
>     ragged-last-bottom = ##t
>
> and — here's the key — DON'T set between-system-padding, I get what I
> want.

This variable can sometimes be useful, but I haven't had much success
with it either.  Since vertical spacing and page breaking have
improved so much since 2.10, I usually try to keep the default
settings first.  And it worked in this case!  :-)

> [Well, almost… the second page system spacing is slightly wider than the
> first page system spacing, which is not ideal.]

I haven't tested this, but check out Notation Reference 4.4.2,
"Vertical spacing between systems".  Using the page-limit-* variables
might help.  I'm not sure how it works though.

> Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction — I'll see whether
> I can hunt down the last issue, and figure out why I can't set b-s-p
> without messing up the page-breaking.

You're welcome!

Cheers,
Patrick