Re: overlaying as a tool for annotating entry points in orchestral parts

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: overlaying as a tool for annotating entry points in orchestral parts (was Re: tempo for both conductor's score and parts)
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:38:49 +0200

Am Samstag, 13. September 2008 schrieb Anthony W. Youngman:
> In message
> <address@hidden>, Daryna
> Baikadamova <address@hidden> writes
>
> >Now I dream up another application:  For orchestral parts with long
> >multi-bar rests, it is often difficult for the player to count exactly
> >when the rests end.  So would it be possible to include a small section
> >of the main melody immediate before the instrument resumes as small
> >notes in an overlay part to hint the player?  This is often done in
> >commercial scores and in this way, these small notes will not get into
> >the way of the conductor's score.
>
> IME, this is *not* what is done in commercial scores ...

it actually is.

> As a trombonist, my parts normally have Horn or Baritone cues, and the
> intent is that if those parts are missing, I can play them instead.

There are two different types of cue notes: The ones that you are talking
about, where one instrument can replace another instrument if that is not
available in an orchestra.
However, Daryna does not talk about these cue notes. The cue notes she is
talking about are inserted so the instrument player knows exactly when to
start playing again after a long rest. They are also inserted if an
instrument rests for the first measure(s) of a piece, so the player can
easily see the basic beat of the piece.
- From my experience, these second type of cue notes appear very often in
classical scores for instruments that rest a lot (brass in classical masses,
timpani, etc).
These cue notes typically come from either the leading voice (e.g. soprano
solo / choir soprano / violin I) or from an instrument that is seated close
to the instrument for which the score is typeset.

http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/music-glossary/cue_002dnotes.html
http://www.theviolinsite.com/music_dictionary/cue-notes.html
http://www.musicad.com/cue_notes
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=770738&postcount=3

Gardner Read's standard reference "Music notation" calls the first type  of
cues "Cross-cuing" (see p.440; you are thinking of these) and the second one
simply "Cues" (p.439), where he says:
"Cues are, however, especially helpful //after lengthy rests//. A few measures
before a performer is to resume after a long period of rest, it is customary
to write into the part a prominent melodic or rhythmic element of the music,
with an identification of the instrument or section playing it. The part of a
weak-voiced instrument -- or a secondary melodic strand of inconspicuous
character -- is of little use as a cue".

Cheers,
Reinhold
- --