Re: tempo for both conductor's score and parts

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: tempo for both conductor's score and parts
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:00:02 +0200

On 13.09.2008, at 21:39, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

In message <address@hidden>, James E. Bailey <address@hidden> writes

On 13.09.2008, at 16:55, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
Obviously, I can't (easily) tweak the placing of things like "Allegro" if it's going to be inserted into lots of parts (nor do I want the hassle). But, to give a current example, my trombone part has a top f (in lily terms, an f' in bass clef) right where I want to put an Andante. The end effect is that the Andante has trampled all over the notes with the result that neither is really legible.

What do I do here?

Regards,
Wol
--  Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden

A special trombone \tag at the pertinent location could solve the problem.

…
\tag is my new best friend.

That's why I put "easily" in brackets :-) I knew it could be done, but (a) I haven't mastered tags yet, and (b) it's something lily *ought* to handle.

At the end of the day, I'm just setting parts for musicians to play. I don't care about layout (at least, not that much), and would happily settle for lily's defaults most of the time. It's just that sometimes (like this case) the defaults produce illegible music :- ( and sometimes they follow a different tradition that just jars (like putting the instrument in the centre of the header instead of on the left :-)

Anyways, thanks. I'll probably just have to learn tag :-(
\tag isn't so difficult you put in a \tag #'trombone {\once \override #'whatever-your-override-is} and then when you make parts/score, you add an extra \keepWithTag #'trombone, or \removeWithTag #'trombone. It sounds more difficult than it really is.