Re: Vertical spacing on big systems

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Vertical spacing on big systems
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:29:22 -0700

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 11:47 +0200, Michael Käppler wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
> > I've collected some raw data about estimated extents and real ones one
> > various scores. I still have to study them, maybe a more suitable amount
> > of reserved space will emerge.
> that would be nice... Maybe it's also possible to cook a patch that
> makes lilypond collect that information on his own after rendering each
> score, storing in it a file. So many users could take part in finding a
> more suitable amount.
> But nevertheless: Would it be - theoretically, not considering the
> amount of time to implement this - possible to get completely rid of
> this "estimate algorithm" to base page spacing only on real Y-extents?

Not really. You can get around it for now by setting system-count to
something in the \paper block. The reason is that, at the time we decide
on the page breaking, we haven't finalized the line breaking yet.
Therefore we don't have the real Y-extents available (except when you
set system-count because that tells us to fix the lines before doing the
page breaking).

The real solution is to make the extent estimates more accurate.

Joe