Re: OT: singing training

From: Nick Bailey
Subject: Re: OT: singing training
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:06:00 +0100

We did some work on Rosegarden which might interest you:

        http://www.n-ism.org/Papers/Nick_Bailey/icmc2008_19ETrehearsal.pdf

The software described in that paper was for training expert musicians to sing microtonal songs which have more than 12 divisions of the scale such as Graham Hair's "Three Microtonal Songs: Dance". There is a video of a successfully trained (and, if I might say so, rather brilliant) Soprano here:

http://www.polonius.uklinux.net/dance.mp4 (which is more often down than up I'm afraid)

The score is here:

        http://www.n-ism.org/People/graham.php#microtonal

Dance starts on page 9 (not Lilypond!!! Sorry!!!).

I'd be a bit careful about teaching absolute pitch accuracy. I'm not a musician, but it is a common mistake by us engineers and computer scientists to consider individual notes important. They aren't. They are like sub-atomic particles, and are only make sense when formed into molecules (motifs). I'd look into the teaching aspect a bit more if I were you. I'm sure a singing teacher would be able to advise you what would be best to do first. You might find they prefer your daughter to work from a primer which develops pitch accuracy alongside other musical skills. Again, IANAMusician, but I suspect you are doing a lot of good in getting your daughter to interact with other players (you) instead of a mechanical device, so perhaps it's a case of "be careful what you wish for, you might get it". You should also not underestimate the importance of rhythmical accuracy. Perhaps it is better to impose a tempo, even a slow one, from scratch. Give a pro and a less experienced musician a piece to play, and I bet the difference will manifest itself more in rhythmic accuracy than in intonation.

Of course, the Rosegarden approach means you can get beautify Lilypond output as a by-product. Naturally, the extension works with normal scales also, but you'll need a Linux machine to run it, and we are only distributing a patch against an old Lilypond version right now (although this will change hopefully quite soon).

I'm sure others on the list will have suggestions which are of more immediate help, but I couldn't resist the plug :)

Nick/.