Re: OT: singing training

From: Tim Litwiller
Subject: Re: OT: singing training
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:43:23 -0500

Nick Bailey wrote:
We did some work on Rosegarden which might interest you:

    http://www.n-ism.org/Papers/Nick_Bailey/icmc2008_19ETrehearsal.pdf

The software described in that paper was for training expert musicians to sing microtonal songs which have more than 12 divisions of the scale such as Graham Hair's "Three Microtonal Songs: Dance". There is a video of a successfully trained (and, if I might say so, rather brilliant) Soprano here:

http://www.polonius.uklinux.net/dance.mp4 (which is more often down than up I'm afraid)

The score is here:

    http://www.n-ism.org/People/graham.php#microtonal

Dance starts on page 9 (not Lilypond!!! Sorry!!!).

Thanks I'll take a look.

I'd be a bit careful about teaching absolute pitch accuracy. I'm not a musician, but it is a common mistake by us engineers and computer scientists to consider individual notes important.
Right I just want her to by ear be able to match a note. I think the schools training is covering reading notes, at least she can read me the note names and or scale letters from a song faster than I can read them she just can't put the right sound on them.

They aren't. They are like sub-atomic particles, and are only make sense when formed into molecules (motifs). I'd look into the teaching aspect a bit more if I were you. I'm sure a singing teacher would be able to advise you what would be best to do first. You might find they prefer your daughter to work from a primer which develops pitch accuracy alongside other musical skills. Again, IANAMusician, but I suspect you are doing a lot of good in getting your daughter to interact with other players (you) instead of a mechanical device, so perhaps it's a case of "be careful what you wish for, you might get it".
Yes, I don't plan to quit helping her. But I think some more pure practice could help her.