midi dynamics

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: midi dynamics
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:36:16 +0200 (CEST)

Folks,

if I need a `p espr.' mark, it's probably best (from a typographical
point of view) to write

  c\markup { \dynamic "p" \italic " espr." }

to correctly align the horizontal and vertical distance of the `espr.'
string with the `p' dynamic sign.  However, this has the disadvantage
that the MIDI performer no longer recognizes the `p' as such.

My idea was to simply adjust the MIDI volume manually.  However, this
is much more tricky than expected, since LilyPond apparently doesn't
provide a simple means to do that.

Any idea how to define a, say, `\midip' macro which sets the volume
similar to `\p', without any (typesetting) side effects?  Currently, I
disable the dynamic stencil once and write `\p':

  \once DynamicText #'stencil = ##f
  c\p

I consider this not very elegant; additionally, it causes

  programming error: cannot align on self: empty element

which appears to be harmless, but might frighten some users.

    Werner