Re: midi dynamics

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: midi dynamics
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:36:59 -0400

Hi Werner,

It *is*, since it is one (abbreviated) phrase: `piano espressivo' --
this is not the same as tagging the note with `piano', adding
`espressivo' somewhere else, say, on the top.

I apologise if I've misinterpreted your response, but it seems like you don't get what Mats is saying…

Below, you'll find a sample of what I think he's talking about — and I definitely agree with him. Note that this is not "tagging the note with 'piano', and adding 'espressivo' somewhere else", but is typesetting the one phrase 'p espr.' as a dynamic mark, rather than as a markup (which behaves quite differently, particularly with regard to alignment).

HTH!
Kieren.

p.s. Mats: is there any way to avoid having the \dynX tweak? Unfortunately, I've never found a way to code the alignment within the dynamic script itself…

%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.11.57"

dynX = { \once \override DynamicText #'X-offset = #-1 }
pEspr = #(make-dynamic-script (markup #:hspace 0 #:raise -1 #:line (#:dynamic "pp" #:hspace -0.3 #:normal-text #:italic "espr." )))

theMusic = \relative
{
        c'2 \dynX e4(\pEspr d) c1
}