RE: Questions on beaming and barring

From: Nick Payne
Subject: RE: Questions on beaming and barring
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:51:26 +1000

After a bit of fiddling, I arrived at the following which fixes my two problems
below:

barre = #(define-music-function (parser location padding text shorten adjBreak)
(number? string? pair? number?) #{
        \once \override TextSpanner #'style = #'line
        \once \override TextSpanner #'font-shape = #'upright
        %draw a bracket edge on RHS
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'text = \markup {
\draw-line #'(0 . -1) }
        \once \override TextSpanner #'padding = $padding
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = $text
        % set alignment of line with reference to left text
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left
#'stencil-align-dir-y = #CENTER
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'padding = #(car
$shorten)
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'padding = #(cdr
$shorten)
        % override to remove bracket edge at line breaks
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right-broken #'text = ##f
        % adjust LH end of line when it wraps to following stave
        \once \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left-broken #'X =
#$adjBreak
#})

I thing I haven't managed to fix is that the barring indication looks better if
both the right- and left-hand ends are extended slightly so that they don't
both start and finish centred on a note, like so:

\barre #0.0 "CIV" #'(-0.5 . -1) #10

But this means that a barre that wraps to the following stave now extends
slightly beyond the RH end of the beginning stave. I couldn't find the command
to fix that.

Nick