Re: same pages in a4 and letter

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: same pages in a4 and letter
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:34:37 -0700

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:17:21 -0700
Patrick Horgan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Neil Puttock wrote:
> > ...some stuff elided...
> > This is rather nifty, but you're reinventing the wheel. :)

Well, IMO the main point is setting the margins automatically -- and
simply the idea that this would be useful to have better quality music
for both paper sizes at once.  I could imagine that this could be very
useful for mutopia and similar projects.  I often used to see scores
that looked great in a4 but contained a final page with two lines of
score in letter, or vice versa.
(I haven't looked at mutopia in the past few years, but I'd be
surprised if such problems were resolved)

> > Why not use the built-in option instead, i.e., run with
> > -dpaper-size="letter"?
> because he wanted to be able to switch back and forth via command
> line argument without editing the file.

No; Neil is quite correct.  -dpaper-size=\"letter\" is also a
command-line option; I'd forgotten about it.  "-d letter" is easy
to type, but this kind of thing is generally hidden in a makefile
anyway, so that's hardly a good argument.

Besides, -dpaper-size=\"letter\" *is* a built-in option, so lilypond
won't display a warning message.  The next version of this file will
use this method.

Cheers,
- Graham