Re: style sheet: dynamic {espr, dolce, legato}

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: style sheet: dynamic {espr, dolce, legato}
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:28:59 -0400

Hi all,

The one tricky thing is the horizontal placement: for things like "mf
dolce", I wanted the "mf" aligned with the notehead.  For something
like "sub p", should the "p" be aligned with the notehead, or should
the "sub" be aligned?

The above-mentioned snippet argues that the dynamic should be aligned
with the notehead,

Yes, for a "sempre pp" that's what both an old engraving from 189x and one from 1996 do. Actually, one instrument has a p and all others have "sempre
pp". The p and pp are aligned with each other.

Just my 2¢ as a composer (and obsessive-compulsive engraver):

Whenever possible, I use (e.g.) "pp sempre" instead of "sempre pp" — that way, the left edge of the dynamic itself (as opposed to the "modifier") can be aligned with the beat it belongs to, and the modifier trails into the music it belongs to. I find it's more consistent, easier to sight-read, and takes away one more decision in the engraving process.

Imagine a "subito pp". If you are sight-reading such a mark, it's really easy to miss the fact that the pp should start immedately at the spot where "subito" is placed.

Precisely.

HTH!
Kieren.