Re: Regarding the new Table of Contents in the GUB docs

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: Regarding the new Table of Contents in the GUB docs
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:18:41 -0700 (PDT)

I don't understand these references to "the Complete Table of Contents".
As I see it, there are at least 5 separate "Tables of Contents", with no
easy way to move from one to another:

Learning Manual
Notation Reference
Internals Reference
Application Usage
Snippets List

And once I'm in one of these 5 "documents", I have no link to take me to
another document. I'm stuck and I'm forced to use the back button or the
address bar, both of which are cumbersome. As a REAL LilyPond user, I
use NR, IR, and AU, and I commonly need to move from one to the other,
and the difficulty in doing so gets frustrating sometimes. I can't
imagine how confusing this would be to a newbie.

Reading the recent posts, it's as if NR exists in a vaccuum. It seems
that any reference to the "documentation" is actually a reference to the
NR. Am I missing something?

Okay, of the 14 bullet-points on the Documentation Index, only two
destinations have return-links:

Developers Resources - "Go back to the Documentation index."
Translations Status  - "Up to documentation index."

Why don't the other 12 bullet-points have this?

I know I've mentioned this quite a bit recently, but is anybody working
on this? Is it harder to implement than I'm led to believe? I don't want
to sound annoying, but can someone PLEASE take care of this?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-09/msg00715.html

Similar proposal from Robin Barrister:
  Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-09/msg00770.html

the docs need a link back to the main directory:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2008-09/msg00374.html

Reinhold's response:

( from http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-09/msg00781.html )