Piano staff, single staff polyphony and lyrics

From: Ari Torhamo
Subject: Piano staff, single staff polyphony and lyrics
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 05:57:24 +0300

Hello,

I'm trying to create a score which contains a piano staff, has single
staff polyphony and has lyrics placed between the staves (only one
voice). I have managed to create the staves and the different voices,
but whatever I try I can't get the lyrics to work. I've been struggling
with the lyrics for at least 12 hours, so I wouldn't mind if someone
would help. I've read through the relevant sections of the documentation
time after time, but the examples there don't quite fit into my
situation.

This part of the documentation
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Piano-templates#Piano-templates
explains how to place lyrics between the staves, but I haven't managed
to apply the instruction to single staff polyphony.

This page
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Single-staff-polyphony#Single-staff-polyphony
explains how to do single staff polyphony, but the syntax used to create
the staves is different from the document above, and I haven't been able
to mix the information of these two. I've studied several other pages
too.

So, how do I place the lyrics between the staves? How about two of them?
(I might figure that out myself, after I learn to do one). It would be
nice to know the (structurally) simplest possible way. Or, if some extra
bits would be useful, I'd like to know what the each bit is for (I like
to understand what I do, so that I'm able to apply it to other
situations).

Here's the beginning of the score:

\version "2.10.33"

sopraano = \relative c'' {
\key g \major
\cadenzaOn
g4( a) b b a2 gis
\bar "|"
a4 b c b a gis a1
\bar "|" \break
b2 a a a4( gis) a b c2( b) a2. b4\rest
\bar "|" \break
}

altto = \relative c' {
d2( g4) g e2 e
e4 g g g e e e1
e2 e e e e4 g g1 e2.
}

tenori = \relative c' {
\clef bass
\key g \major
b4( c) d d c2 b
c4 d e d c b c1
d2 c c c4( b) c d e2( d) c2.
}

basso = \relative c' {
g2. g4 a2 e
a4 g c, g' a e <a a,>1
}

\score {
   \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff <<
         { \sopraano } \\
         { \altto }

      \new Staff <<
         { \tenori } \\
         { \basso }

Perhaps I might take this opportunity to ask another question. Is there
a way to make the first line of the piano score to start from the
beginning of the page, like the other lines?

Oh, and yet another: is it possible to have slurs to be placed between
the tips of the stems, instead of between the note heads? This is how
it's typically done for the music I'm trying to notate.

I'm very grateful for any help.

Regards,

Ari Torhamo

P.S. Lilypond makes wonderful looking scores (only if making them would
be a little easier :-) (yes, I tried the graphical front ends, but
unfortunately they were too buggy)