Re: Amendment to the documentation 2.10.33

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Amendment to the documentation 2.10.33
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:29:59 +0200

Please note that the solutions provided in the referenced email could
also have been obtained using
\score { {
\set Score.skipBars = ##t
\new Staff = bla <<
  \new voice =blu {\voiceOne \Sopran}
  \new voice =blu {\voiceTwo \Alt}  >>

(The interpretation of this alternative solution is that the setting
is done "before" the Staff begins, instead of being done "at the same
time". The result is exactly the same, though).

You could also use
\layout{
 \context{
   \Score
   skipBars = ##t
\score { {
\new Staff = bla <<
  \new voice =blu {\voiceOne \Sopran}
  \new voice =blu {\voiceTwo \Alt} >>
}

where the setting is done by redefining the way all scores are typeset,
once for the whole file.

Note that the setting you tried to do is just one example out of hundreds
or thousands of possible property settings to do in LilyPond. Therefore,
it isn't possible to explain all details of how to do property settings at every single place in the manual. Rather, the intention is to describe it well at one place, namely the Learning Manual (included in the documentation
for version 2.11). I hope you have read it.

  /Mats

Quoting David Hatherly <address@hidden>:

Section 3.4 of the lilypond manual describes how to produce a multi-part score,
and it also talks about condensing multibar rests.

It would be useful if it was made clear here that the << and >> commands are
needed in this context - see the message in the user archives at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-02/msg00275.html.

It took me quite a while to find this solution.