Re: Headword for unfretted-strings

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Headword for unfretted-strings
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:01:14 -0500

New headword will be coming soon.  Probably a late Beethoven quartet.
We don't need copyright headaches.

Jon

Graham Percival wrote:
Find a different headword.

You don't want to screw around with "fair use".  Is "fair use"
under US law?  Is it "fair dealing" under Canadian law?  IIRC the
last time we looked at this, my not-a-lawyer reading of the
Canadian copyright law was that, since we weren't quoting a small
exerpt *for the purpose of discussing that music*, it wasn't
allowed.  Of course, there was a new copyright law being proposed
for Canada; it's been put off for the election, but I'm sure that
it'll come back a few months from now.  Would this quotation fit
under that law's notion of "fair dealing"?  Dunno.

And I haven't even *begun* to investigate what each European
country's notion of "using a small piece of copywritten material"
count as.

Look guys: the 20th century is dead.  Just assume that anything
cultural from 1900 onwards is locked up, and you won't get into
trouble and won't waste time on this garbage.  I mean, how much
brainpower has gone into this thread?  We have professors,
composers, programmers, musicians... reading emails, reading
web-pages, writing emails... time to cut your losses.

If you don't like baroque/classical/romantic music, then compose
your own stuff.  Hey, that's why I started composition in the
first place -- I wanted to record a Britten solo cello suite and
make it freely available on the 'net, but discovered that it was
completely forbidden.

Not-cheers,
- Graham

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 08:31:51 -0500