Re: Headword for unfretted-strings

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Headword for unfretted-strings
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:30:28 -0300

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:43:28 -0400
> Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Graham,
>>
>> > waste time on this garbage
>>
>> I find is baffling ___ and, frankly, more than a little sad ___ that
>> you think discussing copyright issues is a "waste of time" for
>>
>> > professors, composers, programmers, musicians...
>
> Now that I've had a bit more time to think about it, I agree it's
> sad -- very sad that copyright law is considered vital for those
> groups.

Frankly, I think most of these don't follow the letter of the law, and
I am not sure if there would be much of a practical problem if we
quoted a few bars of Ravel.  AFAICS the worst that could happen is
that they would force us to take out that part of the manual.

The problem with copyright law is that it is so complicated that
realistically noone is able to follow the letter of the law, and
everyone is forced to figure for himself what the spirit of the law
is.