Re: Headword for unfretted-strings

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Headword for unfretted-strings
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 12:53:15 -0500

I thought about using something from one of my own works when doing the fretted-strings headword, but all of my coolest stuff is published and I don't own the copyright anymore. I do have some unpublished guitar music, but it wouldn't have displayed as many features of Lilypond as the Mertz example that I ended up using.

As for keyboards, I'd be happy to share a solo piano work of mine or even something for four-hands, as I still have copyright on these things. Not sure if they'd be inspiring enough or not. The solo piece "Tarantella" is already engraved in Lilypond and the source code can be downloaded here if you want to see it:

http://www.jonathankulp.com/Tarantella.html

If I had anything for bowed strings I'd definitely use it, but I don't. I'm about to start on the Beethoven excerpt...

Jon

Trevor Daniels wrote:
Thanks again, Jonathan - that seems the best
approach.  I'll replace it straight after
breakfast tomorrow, which means people can see
the Ravel headword for just one day!  Make the
most of it!

I hate to say this, but the Keyboards headword
is also by Ravel ...

The most interesting comment in this thread was
why don't we (ie the composers among us - which
definitely excludes me) write our own inspirational head-words? The features of the associated section
could be fully demonstrated and the composer would
get some publicity in the credit for his/her contribution to LilyPond. I might take this a
little further.  A composer friend of mine (who is
unfortunately wedded to Sibelius) has agreed I
could use a snippet from one of his works for the
vocal headword.  Or would you like to contribute
a few bars from your opera, Valentin?

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Kulp" <address@hidden>