Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:18:39 -0700

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Robin Bannister <address@hidden> wrote:
> Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
>>
>> This is always a good argument (similar things should look similar),
>> however, I think in our case we can afford to use a "nicer" color in the
>> sidebar, since it is already spacially separated from the contents (by
>> having its own column on the left).
>
> I would turn this argument around.
> Since the side bar is already recognisable as separate, colour need not be
> used to show that it is separate. (See [1]) This means we are free to use
> colour to show something else. This is an opportunity. What would the reason
> for wasting it be?

In the case where the vertical scrollbar is visible for the TOC pane,
using a white background would be fine.  But for a page like [1], the
TOC pane would no longer appear to be a pane, and I would argue for
using color to indicate its separation (as it currently is).

[1]
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/index.html

>> The pale yellow/light brown would make the navbars almost invisible on TFT
>> screens, so I think the current state is much better.
>
> I wasn't *recommending* pale yellow. I was trying to be neutral with respect
> to hue and therefore quoted - Patrick's colour
> - as an example. On kainhofer.com it is pale yellow too.
> So what/where is the current state?

The current state is on kainhofer.com.  *I* like the pale yellow
(beige) personally, but I am open to suggestions.

I agree with yours and Reinhold's idea to remove underlining and
visited link colors in the TOC pane.  Should the same apply to the
main doc pane?

Thanks,
Patrick