Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 16:15:03 -0700

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> wrote:
> Patrick McCarty wrote:
>>
>> Hmm.  I didn't consider the {min,max}-width rules.  I think using a
>> max-width for the TOC pane would be more appropriate though.
>
> Yup, true.
>
> Besides, I'm not completely sure if this idea can be easily added, since
> you use the absolute positioning and do not really apply a width, but
> set the margins s.t. the width constraints follow; correct?
> I don't know whether there's a killer reason for this approach; if so,
> we might have trouble adjusting the position of the main content pane.

I was having trouble implementing a solution that works in IE too.
This one does, reasonable well.  It would be preferable not to add a
"wrapper" div, since this will require changing the init file.  If you
know of a solution using floats or a similar method, run it by me so I
can test it out.

> By the way, does anybody know whether it's possible to set an
> alternative stylesheet as default in your favorite browser [1]? This of
> course should be applied for the whole document subtree below a certain
> directory (e.g. http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/...).
> Otherwise this might be wasted time, because nobody will click through
> the menu every time he visits a new link...
> At least, even for the "Firefoxers" out there, we should place a hint
> somewhere (on the doc main page?) that style switching is possible (and
> perhaps give a short explanation how to use it in popular browsers - the
> Lynx people will know it, anyway...).

A List Apart explains how to implement this with cookies, but we would
rather not use JavaScript:

http://alistapart.com/stories/alternate/

I'm sure there is a way to do this with server-side scripting, but I
do not have the knowledge to implement this.  Maybe someone else on
the list would be interested in tackling this.

Thanks,
Patrick