Re: Piano staff, single staff polyphony and lyrics

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Piano staff, single staff polyphony and lyrics
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:55:29 -0500

Ari Torhamo wrote:
ti, 2008-10-07 kello 17:02 -0500, Jonathan Kulp kirjoitti:

Here's a quick test of Kieren's suggestion, showing first the overridden slur and then one without the override. Not too hard to do as long as there aren't too many.

This slur setting would be the norm. If it's too much work, I'll have to
give up Lilypond. I'm not actually even studying it for myself, but to
teach someone else to use it. He is much less computer savy than I am,
so even without this complication teaching (and using) would be a
challenge. I got this other person to change from Windows to GNU/Linux a
couple of years ago, and I whish I wouldn't have to put Windows back to
his machine (or tell him to use proprietary software - if avoidable).

I understand. It "is" possible to run Finale on Linux under Wine, though, so if he really can't manage Lilypond but does o.k. with Linux in general, then perhaps he could just run the occasional proprietary piece of software under Wine. I've gotten the Finale demo to run nearly perfectly under Wine, with playback and everything. I don't have an installation disc, though, so I can't install a full copy. The only problems I have are that the piano braces and ties look funny. Still, you can view and play back files, and if you have the full version, you can save and share files with others. I like to have the demo installed in case my students send me Finale files, but that's really the only use I have for Finale now that I've gotten comfy with Lilypond :)

This is a good trick to know.  Thanks Kieren :)

\version "2.11.61"

\relative c' {
   \once \override Slur #'positions = #'(2 . 2.5)
   fis4^( gis) g^( c,) d8^( d e c)
}

To make sure that I don't misunderstand, does "#'(2 . 2.5)" mean that
the hight of the start and end points of the slur should be set manually
(in some units) for every slur?

Ari

Afraid so. The 2 is for the left side, and the 2.5 is for the right side. Unfortunately it won't work very well if you try to use a single setting for all the ties. You'll have to set them individually for each one.

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com