Re: unusual Alto Clef

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: unusual Alto Clef
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:07:01 +0000

I wondered the same thing. There is yet another style of C clef. I've seen this other style in French music. It is a more boxy style that is somewhere in-between the modern 'B' type C clef and the "French" style 'K' type. There is also another type of bass clef that I think of as "English" because it shows up in British works (Elgar for example). It spirals in the opposite direction of the "normal" bass clef that is used by LilyPond and it has more turns.

As for the hand-written look; this has been discussed in the past and, if I recall correctly, it was deemed inconsistent with the goals of LilyPond (to look like engraved music).

As for these different styles of glyphs; I think it would be cool to have them, but I don't need them. I suppose it is a matter of someone willing to either write the code for the alternate glyph(s) or pay someone to write the code.

-David

Eyolf Østrem wrote:
I suppose this thread brings up the issue of styles: since the mentioned
clef is not really a new SIGN just a different GLYPH, are there other such
signs that we want? What about the "Fake book" style (a more
hand-written'ish style)? Or, perhaps more pertinent, since it's already
half there: a complete set of glyphs for the ancient styles? I could also
imagine(/desire) a set of manuscript-like glyphs for mensural music, and
perhaps an even more 16th/17th century alternative to petrucci.

Im not saying either that this should all be made, or that if one addition
is kept out so should all others -- rather, I'm asking if there are more
glyphs that should be considered, and (following up on my previous post)
what are the requirements and how does one make them.

Eyolf