Lilypond midi to stdout?

From: John O'Hagan
Subject: Lilypond midi to stdout?
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:02:03 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I'm using Lilypond to print the results of an algorithmic music program written
in Python.

I'm looking for a way to play the results as they are produced (i.e bar by
bar), and it occurred to me that simply playing Lilypond midi files with a midi
player would do the trick.

However, I can't figure out how to get Lilypond's midi data sent to stdout,
where it could then be read from stdin by a player. Whatever I try (including
python pipes and even plain shell pipes) it just writes the file to my home
directory.

Is there any way around this?

Regards,

John O'Hagan