Re: Headword for unfretted-strings

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Headword for unfretted-strings
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 07:26:43 -0500

I agree with you, Trevor. The MIDI block should go in for the sake of the readers, not for the sake of those building docs. I'm a fairly experienced user now, but when I was starting out it gave me fits trying to get the MIDI block in the right place and I would definitely have appreciated the presence of one in an example like this. I really don't see how anyone can object to having a MIDI block in a template or a headword.

Jon

Trevor Daniels wrote:

Graham, you wrote Saturday, October 11, 2008 12:41 AM

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:59:43 +0100
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

Graham, you wrote Friday, October 10, 2008 7:38 PM

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:08:00 +0100
> "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Err, why midi?  It doesn't help anything for the docs, and as
> you've just said, it's not intended to teach anything.

TIMS - this is music, stupid, you know, stuff you
_listen_ to ;)

Not the MIDI version of string sounds, you don't.  :)

Strings are so expressive they can never be properly
synthesized.  I grant you that.

Seriously, there's no reason to build the .midi files in
Documentation/user/out-www/.  I can appreciate that you wanted to
hear how it sounded, but there's still no point in keeping the
\midi{} in the file.  OK, it only adds half a second to the build
process... but who's going to go hunting around for that .midi
files?  I mean, how many people *who build the docs* are going to
want to hear it badly enough to dig out that file?

I wasn't thinking of people who build the docs; rather
people who read them.  LilyPond produces printed output
and MIDI output.  The inspirational headwords are supposed
to show off what Lily can do.  If they include the MIDI
commands all the reader has to do is copy and paste the score and they can both see and hear them. The headwords
are the only scores in the whole of the documentation which
are fully self-contained. OK, they're only short extracts, but nevertheless they are a complete Lily score. Come to think of it, they do serve as a useful teaching aid just because of that. And as they are complete they should include \midi{} to demonstrate that part of Lily's output.

But I'm not going to die in the ditch defending this - it
just seemed the right thing to do.

Cheers,
- Graham

Trevor