Re: Stemming and lyrics on combined parts

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Stemming and lyrics on combined parts
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:54:38 +0200

Quoting Carl Peterson <address@hidden>:

I'm trying to take advantage of automatic part combining to make it easier
to set the songs for a hymnal. There are a couple of technical things I need
assistance on.

1) Whenever two parts on the same staff are on the same note, the part
combiner only prints one stem. Is there any way to get the part combiner to
output two stems for a due notes?

It seems that you don't want to combine the parts, but rather to keep them as two separate voices, typeset in the same staff.
Something like

soprano = \relative c'{ c d e f }
alto = \relative c' { c b e d }
\score{
 \new Staff << \soprano \\ \alto >>
}

2) Is there a way to bind the lyrics to the original (uncombined) parts
without outputting the parts themselves?
Not if you use \partcombine, but indeed if you use the technique described above (or even easier if you read section "Explicitly intantiating
voice" in the manual).

   /Mats