Re: Headword for unfretted-strings

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Headword for unfretted-strings
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:33:19 -0700

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:50:54 +0200
Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Quoting Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> >> Strings are so expressive they can never be properly
> >> synthesized.  I grant you that.
> >
> > To be fair, I'd assume that this applies even more to vocal music
> > -- quite apart from the expressivity of voice, midi doesn't even
> > attempt to add lyrics.
>
> Yes and no! The MIDI files from LilyPond indeed contain the lyrics
> in a form that can be used by some MIDI sequencers to show the lyrics
> in a Karaoke-like fashion.

But, unless festival has improved tremendosly, those don't affect
the sound output at all.  That's what I was talking about -- audio
output as opposed to png or pdfs.

AFAIK singing lyrics is still an area of research and experimental
programs (like the vocaloid software that's popular in Japan).  It
certainly isn't part of the typical MIDI sequencers found on normal
computers.

Cheers,
- Graham