Re: Soundfonts in ps file

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: Soundfonts in ps file
Date: 15 Oct 2008 12:50:41 +0200

Paul Hodges <address@hidden> writes:

> When I compile a score on my computer at work, the ps file is about six
> times the size of the resulting pdf - the difference apparently being
> embedded sound fonts.

I sincerely hope you mean music fonts, not sound fonts.

The PS is bigger since the fonts are included completely in the PS,
while the PS -> PDF converter only includes the subset of the font
that is actually used. It also compresses the data.

> When I compile the same on my compute at home, the ps file is ten
> times bigger again, also apparently due to sound fonts. I have
> several fancy soundcards on my home machine, which I guess is why
> the sound fonts are so much bigger there.

Again, LilyPond does not include sound fonts, only the
PostScript/TrueType/OpenType fonts for the texts and music symbols.

> I have never used a sound font, or MIDI output.  Is there some way to
> suppress this, as on my home computer simply reading the ps file is
> materially slowing down the generation of the score?

Hmm. A modern computer should not have problems with a multi-megabyte
PostScript document. But why not use the PDF instead?

-- Johan