Re: LilyPond examples

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: LilyPond examples
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:27:16 -0400

    >> 2) What doesn't it do as well?

    Andrew> No MIDI input. Well, rumor would work on Linux but I haven't been
able
    Andrew> to get it to work, so I feel safe saying that there is no MIDI input
    Andrew> for almost all LilyPond users. This doesn't slow me down for vocal
    Andrew> music as I can type a melody almost as fast as I would have entered
it
    Andrew> by MIDI, but piano parts are much slower when I can't just drop a
    Andrew> whole chord at a time.

I use midi2ly occasionally.  I agree that it's often, or even usually,
faster to type the notes, but when I'm short on proofreading time and I
have a MIDI I trust, I sometimes decide it's safer.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Gov'r. Thomas was so pleas'd with the construction of this stove, as
described in it, that he offered to give me a patent for the sole
vending of them for a term of years; but I declin'd it from a
principle which has ever weighed with me on such occasions, viz.,
That, as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of
ours; and this we should do freely and generously.

Benjamin Franklin, Autobiography, Chapter 10