Re: GDP NR 1.6 Staff notation ready for public review

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: GDP NR 1.6 Staff notation ready for public review
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 09:10:05 +0100

Patrick McCarty wrote  Friday, October 17, 2008 6:54 PM

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 1:52 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

Patrick McCarty wrote  Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:15 PM

I thought we wanted to leave all of these examples here.  Since they
cover all of the easy-to-tweak properties of StaffSymbol, I think it
would be better to leave it "as-is".  If we want to move the examples
with \override to @snippets, I think it would be more appropriate to
combine them into one or two snippets.

Well, this section seems quite different from all the others in the NR
in that it documents -all- the properties of StaffSymbol rather than
just the useful ones.  I don't think 'line-positions or 'width are useful
to typical or even advanced users, do you?  Leaving them in simply
dilutes the usefulness of this section.  The key properties are
'line-count and 'thickness, and the predefs \startStaff and \stopStaff.
The remainder should be moved to NR 5 ('line-positions and 'width)
or snippets, with some explanation of what they might be used for.
And if we can't say what they might be used for why are they there
at all?

Okay, I see what you mean.  Leaving the 'line-count, 'thickness, and
the two \startStaff and \stopStaff examples would be best.

For now I've just moved 'line-positions and 'width into a new section in
NR 5.3.  As StaffSymbol is fundamental to scaling this would be a
good place to expand and explain this and magstep, as well as all the
other properties of StaffSymbol.  At the moment bits of scaling are
scattered all over the docs.

Trevor