Re: warning: programming error: must have Item for spanner bound of Perc

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: warning: programming error: must have Item for spanner bound of PercentRepeat
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 06:41:44 -0500

I added one thing to your code and the results are different, without programming errors and without the superfluous bar. See if you get what you want with this block:

piece = \drummode {
  \set countPercentRepeats = ##t
  \time 4/4
  \repeat percent 10 { \basicBar }
  % ...
}

Jon

Daniel Hulme wrote:
I'm trying to re-engrave a percussion part I have been given to play and
I get the above message, with a superfluous bar in my output. A minimal
example and Lilypond's resulting message follows. I started with 2.10.33
but updated to git master on Thursday night and the problem persists.
Even if the problem is with my file it seems that reporting an alleged
programming error must be helpful. I can try to fix the bug myself if
someone points me in the right direction.

Incidentally, it would be nice if there were some way to set the value
of the counter on percent repeats, so (for instance) if the first bar of
a phrase is slightly different from the second and subsequent bars, the
first percent mark is numbered 3 to agree with the phrase structure
(whereas now it would be 2). Also, a feature to only number every n'th
percent mark would also be nice. Both of these properties are found in
commercial parts, though less often than I would like.

=== percentrepeat.ly
\version "2.11.62"
\include "english.ly"

basicSnare = \drummode { sn8 sn sn-> sn }
basicBass = \drummode { bd8[ r16 bd16] bd8 r8 }

basicBar = \drummode {
  \repeat unfold 2 {
    << \basicSnare \\ \basicBass >>
  } |
}

piece = \drummode {
  \time 4/4
  \repeat percent 10 \basicBar
  % ...
}

skips = #(ly:export (skip-of-length piece ))

\score {
  \new DrumStaff <<
    \new DrumVoice = "1" { \skips }
    \new DrumVoice = "2" { \skips }
    \piece

}

=== output.log

GNU LilyPond 2.11.63
Processing `percentrepeat.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... percentrepeat.ly:15:2: warning: programming error: must have Item for spanner bound of PercentRepeat \repeat percent 10 \basicBar
[8]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
programming error: Multi_measure_rest::get_rods (): I am not spanned!
continuing, cross fingers
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...