Re: Autobeaming overrides

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: Autobeaming overrides
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 09:16:03 +0000

I don't have an answer to your question but I do have a request regarding this section of the manual. In section 1.2.4 Beams/Setting automatic beam behavior, there is the statement:

Note that the default auto-beaming rules are specified in ‘scm/auto-beam.scm’, so you can revert rules that you did not explicitly create.

I've long felt that this wording should be more explicit. Maybe something like:

Note that the default auto-beaming rules are specified in ‘scm/auto-beam.scm’. When constructing auto-beaming rules of your own it is necessary to specifically revert any default rule that is contrary to your new rule.

Maybe you've got a better phrasing for it.

-David

Trevor Daniels wrote:
I'm putting the finishing touches to the Rhythm section of the Notation Reference and would like some help.

The usual override for modifying the automatic beaming rhythm specifies the ending beat of the beam:

#(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 6 8) 4 8)

It is also possible to specify the starting beat of the beam, but I cannot see when it is necessary to do this. Are there any situations when the starting beat -must- be specified, or is this just an alternative?

Trevor