Re: truly elegant compound time signatures

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: truly elegant compound time signatures
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 00:33:20 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:
> It's not markup.  I've changed the way the time signature is
> displayed.  The parenthesis is part of the time signature.

Sorry, that was my bad phrasing (again).  I understood perfectly well
what it was -- if it wasn't part of the time signature, the spacing
wouldn't have been altered as it was.

>> Second, from the point of view of documentation/snippets, it would be
>> good to have one snippet displaying multiple different ways of viewing
>> compound time signatures or beat divisions, everything from the form in
>> this example,
>
> Go ahead.

I will certainly try. :-)

> I'm not trying to be nasty, but judging from your email, you don't
> understand how the \compoundTimeSignature command works.  And you
> have some interest in the docs, otherwise you wouldn't have
> mentioned anything.  So why don't *you* create those other
> versions of this command?  It'll be a good exercise for you, and
> it could help other people understand this kind of thing.

No nastiness felt from this end, your response was not entirely
unexpected -- after all, as you say, you've put in a lot of effort to
generate this tool as it is.  I'm very grateful for that, and a friendly
prod to put my ideas into practice myself is, as you say, good for me.

I do like to run my ideas past the list (I'm a novice member of the
LilyPond community, after all, and it's good to have comments), but if
the response is, 'Good idea, why don't you do it?' then that's a
pleasure, not a problem.

All the best,

    -- Joe