RE: Unexpected character change on Vista

From: Nick Payne
Subject: RE: Unexpected character change on Vista
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 07:59:29 +1100

I have the latest version of Acrobat (v9) running on XP. Trevor sent me the
PS file generated on Vista for his minimal example demonstrating the problem
to see what happens when Acrobat converts it to PDF. I found the following:

1. Acrobat Distiller complains of a Postscript error in the PS file. Gets to
about 4% on the progress bar, flashes up a very quick error msg in the
status window saying "[%%] Postscript error [%%]", and no PDF file is
created. I wasn't able to find any error log on the system giving any
details of exactly what it didn't like about the PS file.

2. If I run that same minimal example through Lilypond on XP, the generated
PS file is about half the size of the same file on Vista (988Kb vs 1878Kb),
and Distiller has no problem converting the PS to PDF.

Nick