Re: Beat grouping and reverting

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Beat grouping and reverting
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:00:26 -0000

Carl D. Sorensen wrote Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:14 PM
On 10/25/08 2:30 PM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
Neil wrote  Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:06 PM

2008/10/25 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:
Carl

But how do you revert entries like this:

((end * * 6 8) . #f) ;; switch-off at-any-beat feature

The simplest way would be to add a function to switch this back on:

I'd like to see the complex way  ;)

What if we just removed all of the ((end * * num den) .#f) entries from
scm/auto-beam.scm?

I tried it for 6/8, and I think things still worked just fine for me.

It's not clear to me that these entries do anything useful with the current
beatGrouping setup.  Perhaps they were needed with the previous code.

How would we decide whether it's safe to remove them?

I never did quite understand what these entries did.  My
guess is that the (maybe previous?) code turned off beams
at beatLength intervals by default, and these entries
disabled that.  They only appear in the rules for the
n/8 and n/16 time signatures, with beatLengths of 8 and
16, which supports that.

It would be helpful if someone familiar with the previous
working could confirm this, or perhaps someone using these
rules or these n/16 or n/32 time signatures could edit
scm/auto-beam.scm to remove them and see if it causes any
problems.  I suspect it will not.

Trevor